Days for Girls
As a community composed primarily of women, Wise Heart is especially interested in supporting women, both in our own community and throughout the world. The Days for Girls project distributes washable and reusable feminine hygiene kits to young women in developing countries. Since many of these girls have to stay home from school during their monthly cycles for lack of sanitary supplies, the kits allow them to pursue their educations without interruption. Wise Heart's kits have been delivered places across the globe, including Kenya, Tanzania, Haiti, Nepal, and Sierra Leone. Our goal in 2016 is to make 500 kits for the girls in India who are served by the ashram at Rikhia.
Help us cut, sew, and assemble:
- Join us for a sewing/assembly session.
- We have fabric that needs to be cut to size. If you have half an hour to spare, take a packet of fabric and cut it according to the included pattern.
Help buy supplies. We estimate that each kit costs $10 in supplies, which include:
- one pair of girls panties (assorted sizes 10 to 16)
- one washcloth
- two bars of travel size soap
- one ziplock bag
- Fabric and other sewing supplies
For more information or to volunteer, contact Mollie Lange.